I participated in a workshop by Jenny Geale (https://jennygeale.wordpress.com/) today on young people and volunteering. Jenny co-authored some research into Young Leaders leading Young People and she was sharing the learning from that research as it applies to engaging young people in serving/helping.
There was some great points to take on board for my own research project as well as for the church!
To engage young people do these things –
- curate shared experiences
- encourage tight teams where ‘buddies/friends’ work together but can include others
- share the story of the organisation
- give freedoms and flexibilities with clear boundaries and processes for support
- design projects not tasks
- give responsibility not controls
- give flexibility and connection not rigid structure
- encourage trying things without fear of failure
- upskill and work out what the young person wants to get out of the experience
- young people don’t volunteer for tasks they go WITH people on a journey
- vision trumps duty
- they join because they want something….this is ok!
- It is about connection and community…
- If technology doesn’t help face-to-face….don’t use it!!!
Questions for organisations…
- How do young people access power?
- How does the organisation listen to young people (what are the ways)?
- Where will the project take a young person?
- How are you using technology to create face-to-face experiences
Wow…how good is this information!!!